Friday, July 17, 2009

Pesto


Pesto is a fresh bold flavor I add to many recipes. I use it as a sauce for pasta dishes. I add it on top of grilled chicken breasts and grilled veggies. It is great as a spread on sandwiches or even a dip for raw veggies. Pesto is a raw sauce that isn't cooked and is easy to make. I usually make a bunch of it at once and freeze the leftovers in ice cube trays. When I am ready to use it next, just thaw out the amount of cubes I need.

Pesto
Submitted by Kelly Marsden

1 large handful of fresh basil leaves
2 large handfuls of fresh baby spinach
3-4 garlic cloves (I like lots of garlic)
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts (walnuts work well too)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a food processor combined basil, spinach, garlic, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. While processing slowly stream in EVOO until paste becomes a thick sauce consistency. I like it a little thinner for pasta, and a little thicker for a topping or spread. Blend to your desired consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment