Saturday, October 24, 2009

Creamy Veggie Soup

 
Posted by Picasa
I love the Fall season. Cooler weather is perfect for eating warm soups. I created this recipe to use up my leftover veggies from the week. It also helps me get more veggies into my kids without them knowing it and they love it. Because this recipe uses up leftover veggies it varies a little bit each time I make it. The veggies may vary each time, but the method is the same so you can use all different combinations. This soup also freezes well!

Creamy Veggie Soup
Submitted by Kelly Marsden

1 large yellow onion diced
4 large garlic cloves minced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. butter

This is the leftover veggie combination I used tonight. The amounts are approximate, I just used all I had on hand.

2 cups roasted potatoes (skin still on)
2 cups steamed broccoli
2 cups steamed carrots
1 cup cooked green beans
3 large handfuls of fresh spinach

1-2 32oz boxes of chicken broth (depending on how many veggies you use and how thick or thin you like your soup)
1 cup light sour cream
2 cups grated cheese (I use whatever I have on hand - cheddar, mozzarella, and monterey jack all have worked equally well)
Salt(or chicken bullion cube) and Pepper to taste

In large stock pot saute onion and garlic in olive oil and butter until tender and translucent. Add leftover veggies - potatoes, broccoli, carrots, green beans, and spinach. Add 1 box chicken broth. Using an immersion blender, blend all veggies until smooth. Add more chicken broth as needed. Add sour cream and stir. Finally add cheese, stir until melted. After all ingredients have been incorporated I then taste the soup to see if it needs any salt and pepper. It usually doesn't need much if the leftover veggies were seasoned already. If it needs more salt I usually like to slowly add a little chicken bullion cube until it tastes good. Serve with bread, crackers, toasted pita bread, cheese quesadillas, or grilled cheese sandwiches.

Other leftover veggies I have used:
Corn, Peas, Asparagus, Cauliflower, Zucchini, and Yellow Squash. You could also add pureed white beans.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm... looks good. And I love that it is so versatile for using up all those leftover/unused veggies.

    ReplyDelete